From the Puente Nueve

From the Puente Nueve
From the Puente Nueve

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Into 2012. 26 Dec 2011 - 01 Jan 2012

On Boxing Day, I took a walk in the valley below the Tajo – the Gorge. The weather was windy but pleasant. Over did it a bit. Intended walking an hour there and an hour back, walked 45 minutes mainly downhill then thought it best to walk in the other direction. It seems steeper up than down. I then decided to go round the other side of Ronda. I reached the Algeciras Road and strolled back to one of the tavernas. I was out altogether over 4 hours.

I have still tended to walk a good deal. Generally I only take the car if going to the supermarket. Driving in Spain though is a rather more pleasant experience than driving in the UK. The population of the UK is approximately 61m, whereas Spain’s is about 40.5. (both from July 2009) and growth is .28% versus .07%. The area of the UK is half that of Spain. The UK is reported to have near to 30m cars so with the Spanish population being two thirds that of the UK the likelihood is that there are (only) around 20m cars. Driving around or through the larger towns/cities such as Seville is as busy as any similar sized town/city in the UK but once away from these larger towns it is a good deal quieter. Ronda never seems to get particularly busy, even in ‘rush hour’ – except for in the narrow street up to the bridge over the gorge.

I had three long walks this week. I have still not found a way through to the higher level of the hills on the other side of the Algeciras Road. The third walk was on the far side of Ronda from where I am living. That was comparatively flat with views of undulating countryside and the Sierra Hidalga. Of particular interest was the medieval viaduct that used to carry water to the town.

Walking back from town the other days I came a slightly different way through the narrow streets up to the house and came across a small square with exercise equipment including a step machine and a pedal machine. They have clearly been there for some time and they have not been vandalised. I have noticed also that public phones appear not to be damaged. On the other hand, despite there being a 700 Euro fine for not clearing up dog mess, this is clearly not enforced and is a much bigger problem than at home. The pavements are strewn with the stuff.

Last night, New Year’s Eve I walked in to town at about 10:30pm to see if there was going to be any entertainment or gathering. I had not seen or heard any advertised. There was virtually no one about. On the way, none of the restaurants or tavernas were open and there was not a single other person in the main square. Walking back I only passed a German couple seemingly equally as bemused as myself and they did not even answer my cheery “Feliz Año Nuevo”. The walk gave an eery sort of  feeling – was I actually here? I may not have been but a succession of mobile phone messages from friends and family suggested that I did still exist.

There was nothing like Jools Holland’s Hootenany on the TV. There was a program with a male and female presenter seemingly in daylight building up to midnight overlooking a crowded square with a clock tower in Madrid. As soon as the clock signified the start of 2012 the adverts came on and that was that.

Today, New Years’ Day, the tavernas are still closed. The local ones anyway, I did not venture in to town. Had phone calls from friends in Peterborough, one of whom will be at the Peterborough v Birmingham game tomorrow. I will be at my laptop keeping an eye on the videprinter on good old bbc.co.uk/football.

My first visitors are arriving later this week. My friends in Portugal are driving over for a couple of days’ stay.

“Feliz Año Nuevo”.

No comments:

Post a Comment