From the Puente Nueve

From the Puente Nueve
From the Puente Nueve

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Unplanned trip home. 2 - 15 January 2012

Monday 2nd January everywhere was still quiet. Spent the day preparing for a previously unplanned trip back to the UK.

Tuesday 3rd to Monday 9th I was back in Peterborough. Spent most of the time with my older daughter but also saw my younger daughter and grandson, spending Monday night at their place. Then an early (6:25 am) flight from Stansted.

Arrived back in Ronda just after 12:30. Weather breezy but pleasant.

Had another couple of reasonably lengthy walks across the Algeceiras Road. I am certain I have now found a way to get deep into the hills. I will head out on Monday with a packed lunch and see how far I get.

I have been perusing web sites for local properties. Have created a list and hope to view a few this week or next. Due to the pound/euro exchange rate, my rent is currently £50 less than when I first got here. It could of course easily swing the other way but it makes some of the properties look very tempting. As always though, photos can be deceptive. Here you can’t get details and take a mooch round the locality, you have to arrange a viewing before you get the details.

My current thinking is to possibly buy a property in one of the nearby villages, live there November to March/April and maybe rent out as a holiday let in the Summer months.

On Sunday I walked into town and visited the Museo de Bandeleros. Until the early 1900’s the mountain roads around Ronda were full of bandits (bandeleros). These colourful characters were a cross between Dick Turpin and Robin Hood in that they were similar to the Highwaymen and tended to use their ill gotten gains to help the poor in the rural villages.

On the way back I passed a taverna advertising Barcelona v Real Mallorca at 8pm. Another lesson: Do your own research! I arrived at 7:45 and was the only customer until 7:55 when another chap came in. The game showing was Real Sporting v Malaga – some local interest but still only me and the one other. I left at half time with Malaga losing 0-1. Got home and switched on the television. They were showing the Barcelona and Betis (not Mallorca) players warming up. That game was due to kick off at 9:30pm but they were showing the game (on the free to air TV) at 11:15pm. I might stay up to watch Birmingham City at that time but not Barcelona……. (sad gringo that I am).

Although only 3 weeks past the Winter Solstice it is already making a difference. It is already light just after 8 but is not dark until nearly 7pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment