From the Puente Nueve

From the Puente Nueve
From the Puente Nueve

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Wandering and wondering. 23 - 29 January 2012

I took some trips out to the local villages – Jimena De Libar, El Gastor, Montecorto, Arriete and Benaojan. I have decided that they are good and interesting for trips out and walks but the lack of facilities would mean regular trips into Ronda for essentials. Having said that there are a couple of interesting properties for sale in Benaojan which is the nearest of the villages and has a rail connection into Ronda.

On Friday after classes I went back to a firiend’s place for coffee and to see his house. He has been here for 2 years and has improved the house although it was perfectly presentable in the first place. There is a terrace with marvellous views of the old part of the city and the Serrania beyond.
I will see how my trip home goes next week and when I get back will get the agent to show me some more properties to see if it would be possible to buy something similar.

As well as visiting the villages much of this week has been spent mooching and wandering around the old town. There is a tremendous amount of history here with prehistoric caves outside the town, Roman remains, Arabic buildings from the occupation by the Moors and then the Christian Conquest in 1485.

During Friday afternoon there was a downpour of hail for a couple of hours. It cleared up in time for a stroll down to a nearby taverna. The television was showing an international – Spain v Denmark -game of handball (Balonmanos). It appears to be a cross between basketball and netball but with goals (and a goalkeeper) as with 5-a-side football. Fast and frantic. Spain lost 31-28. It seems that Ronda has a high quality team and their home is the sports stadium just 100 yards away from my house. I shall have to try to get to their next home game.

I have an early start tomorrow, Sunday. I will spend a bit of time in Malaga then will be in Cambridge tomorrow night and Peterborough on Monday. I go over to Birmingham next Saturday and will then back here the following Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment