From the Puente Nueve

From the Puente Nueve
From the Puente Nueve

Monday, December 26, 2011

Feliz Navidades! 19-25 Dec 2011

I had been waiting for a parcel of post and other items from my younger daughter and during the last week had stayed in during the day except when had to be out......

As Murphy's Law dictates Los Correos tried to deliver it Tuesday morning....
1. They normally deliver post between 2 and 5..... they must have tried before 12:15 because I got back then.
2. That day was the one day I had to be out.

I knew it was her parcel because the card said addressed to ABUELO (Grandad). The card said to pick it up the day after they tried delivering (.. my Spanish is getting a bit better!). I knew where from and it opens at 8:30. I was there at 8:31 and didn't sleep that night .......  unusual for me.
When I got to the post office they initially would not let me have the parcel as the name was Abuelo and my passport says Francis Hughes. I am not sure if they were joking but I would not play poker with these guys. In the end they passed it over.
The trouble was if I hadn’t had it by Wednesday I was going to have to make a few phone calls..... and further - the numbers I needed were on the letters I was also waiting for so some investigation would be necessary - if I got them I wouldn't need to make the calls. Of course I was really looking forward to the album. If it got lost, the South America photos (also included) could be copied again (she also put my South America photos which are on her laptop but not mine onto a memory stick) but the album with my Grandson would have been difficult to recreate I think.
Christmas itself is not the big event that it is at home. It is big in a proper religious sense but not the commercial fiasco we have. Their big fiasco is indeed 6th January.

I have my turkey leg to roast for Christmas Day, have a more than reasonable amount of San Miguel and I bought a TV. It was surprisingly easy to set up - the free to air channels - but while I thought I might get CNN and/or BBC 24hr News...... none of it. 60 channels - some duplicated as non HD and HD and 15 of them are radio. All Spanish which is good really but it would have been nice to have those 2 mentioned. I reckon I may be able to settle down after lunch to watch "The Guns of Navarone" and/or "The Dambusters" --- in Spanish. My 'favourite' channel so far is one that shows "Poldark" epsiodes (remember those?) .... of course in Spanish.
 
 The last couple of days have been marvellous weather wise. Thick frost in the morning, burned off by 9 (it gets light around 8:30) and on Thursday it reached 22 between 2 and 4pm...... getting colder quickly after that.... but doesn't get dark until after 6:15......... and now we are beyond 21st it will keep getting better.

Although the car is OK I have not ventured too far. My insurance runs out on 14 Jan and having checked quotes I think I am going with a Spanish company. It is similar cost basically but the UK companies want extra for European use  - they won’t say how much until AFTER you have the policy. The Spanish companies of course don't (but will want extra for Uk..... I'll cancel in May) - but they do provide elementary breakdown cover within the cost. So I will go with the Spanish.

Saturday - slightly but only slightly worse for wear..... went for a walk in the old part. Fascinating - there is the original Roman settlement then various bits by the Arabs and then parts from when the Christians took over around 1495. I called in at a taverna there for a cerveza, then on the way back went in to one that I have been frequenting twice a week to get myself known....... and as well as the beer I bought there were free ones for Navidades. I also had the longest conversation yet.... at least a sentence - and understood half of what was said.

Feliz Navidades!

No comments:

Post a Comment