From the Puente Nueve

From the Puente Nueve
From the Puente Nueve

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

New Friends. 21 - 27 Nov 2011

It may be that affordable broadband is possible. Waiting for someone to contact me . Manana, manana!
Missing my girls… and grandson. It has always seemed to be the case that most of the time one of them is having a bad time, sometimes both are having a bad time. It is rare for both to be having a good time. At the moment one is happy, one is very, very unhappy – and I can’t help.
Picked up and activated my bank debit card. Bought a Spanish mobile phone – in fact 2. Turns out there was a 2 for 1 offer on a Samsung for 19 Euros!. Ideal because my British one is Samsung so the menu and menu structure is much the same. Blue will be for my use, ‘pink’ - I will be able to loan to visitors, loaded with some credit and useful phone numbers. They also came with 3 Euros credit. Next weeks’ task will be to work out how to add credit. I tried over the phone and on-line but although  I turned the menu structure into English, the top up bits are in unintelligible Spanish!
Managed to find out that there are Government sponsored Spanish lessons available. Arranged to meet the Spanish teacher at the Ministry of Education Centre on Thursday. Turned up on Thursday at 9:30. Helped  the teacher with some of his son’s English homework then joined the class….. The class of around 20 are a mix of English, Italian and French with a wide range of Spanish capability but the common language of course is English. My ‘partner’ in group work  was an Italian lady who has been in Ronda for 8 years and appears to be perfectly fluent in Spanish. The classes are 9:30 to 11:00 on Tuesdays and Fridays.
The rain, constant from Saturday stopped on Wednesday. Since then it has been sunny and cool to very warm. Took a walk to the Hermitage – Virgen de la Cabeza Church around 3 miles there and back. Marvellous views of the famous Ronda Tajo (gorge) and the Sierra de Grazalema. I am around one and a half miles from the centre of Ronda on the East Side and in just 400 yards am in the countryside, not dissimilar to The Derbyshire Peaks though nowhere near so many trees but the peaks are significantly higher.
As it was our wedding anniversary I decided to have a decent meal out on Saturday afternoon. Although I had visited this restaurant in the past the meal was not as good as hoped. I bumped into a couple from the Spanish class. They are returning to England next weekend and invited me to Sunday lunch. There will be a few others so there will be the chance to make some connections. One of the things I have had difficulty finding is ….. fresh milk!!! Here were three middle aged Brits, sat in a bar talking in hushed tones about…………………….. where to get fresh milk!!!!! They had a stash in their freezer and agreed to supply me some! At something under 60 we were too young to be hippies, not interested in drugs (… except a reasonable quantity of alcohol) and too old to be punks. Mind you I am very partial to a good blast of the Ramones.
Got back to the house and my washing was dry thanks to the slight wind and warm sun. A lady in her 70’s and who lives nearby rang my bell. My Spanish is just about good enough to understand that she was after my low hanging fruit. In my sort of patio/car port area there is a tree with fruit similar to strawberries. I have not yet established what they are but she wanted some for her sick friend. She left happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment