From the Puente Nueve

From the Puente Nueve
From the Puente Nueve

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Settling In. 15 - 20 Nov 2011

It looks like getting broadband internet installed is going to be prohibitively expensive. There is a Euro 199 installation charge and a subscription of Euros 60 per month…… but the contract has to be a minimum 24 months! 
I have a ‘3’ mobile dongle which worked very well in the UK and was told would work over here – it doesn’t. ‘3’ have been sort of helpful but phone calls at 35p/min to make and 11p/min to receive have been expensive with no apparent solution. ‘3’ does not have coverage but you can switch to another network – it seems Orange is the only valid one where I am and although the dongle appears to connect to the network, there is no internet access.I will have to see if I can buy a dongle here – but it seems that coverage generally here is not good.
Free Wi-fi is available in the library and there are a couple of Internet places. Not convenient though.
I also enquired about TV. UK Freeview is available but needs a 1.3m dish installed at around Euros 599. There are TV points around the house and the owner has said all I need is a TV and I will get the standard Spanish terrestrial stations. I won’t bother yet but as Winter progresses it may be worthwhile trying.
I have not yet met any neighbours. When I have seen any they are always scurrying in and are clearly not ready to make contact. I have not seen the neighbours either side at all. I know they are there but do not hear them. On that basis I am sure my CD player with Pink Floyd, Ali Farka Toure, Jan Garbarek, Bob Dylan or Burning Spear can’t be bothering them.
My car seemed OK after its arduous journey but the old engine management light has come on. This has been a fairly constant issue. On 4 or 5 occasions at home I have booked it in for a check only for it to go off on the morning it was to go in. On the one occasion it stayed on, they could not find a problem using the diagnostic gismo and simple reset it. I hope there is not a problem and it seems to be running ok but I don’t want to try a reasonable trip at the moment – in case. Once though, it came on, followed not long after by plumes of smoke and a subsequent £3500 bill – which Saab fortunately agreed to cover 75% of as it was not long out of warranty. That was 50,000 miles ago.
As it happens anyway, I am checking out the local area. The town itself has plenty of interest within walking distance. Walking here though is not like good old flat Peterborough. Going in to town there is a half mile steady downhill then a mile very steep in parts uphill. Having to go in twice a day for various reasons early in the week I think took its toll. This once fit but now approaching elderly chap found the breathing hard, the chest getting a bit tight and the calves and thighs objecting somewhat. Out the other way though isn’t such hard work and there are amazing views only a half a mile away.
Birmingham City 1 Peterborough Utd 1. What a come down! Last year The Blues were beating Arsenal and now can only draw with The Posh – at home. Of course this was one of only 2 (plus if applicable, cup games against Birmingham) that I would want Posh to lose.I was thinking of going to see Deportivo Ronda this afternoon (Sunday). They are in the 9th league of the Spanish 3rd tier (??). Probably not even on a par with the likes of Stamford or Solihull Moors. The ground apparently holds 3500, most not undercover. It has been raining steadily and at times monsoon like since around 10:30 on Saturday so have decided to give it a miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment