From the Puente Nueve

From the Puente Nueve
From the Puente Nueve

Sunday, February 26, 2012

It's Warming Up... 20 - 26 February 2012

The temperature is rising. It is still cold in the mornings and cool at night but there have been mainly clear blue skies this week and it is almost t-shirt weather during the afternoons. The days themselves though are not getting any longer. It is still not light until nearly 8 o’clock and is still dark before 7:30.

During walks there are wild flowers but unfortunately no snowdrops, crocuses or daffodils. I always had lots of crocuses and small daffodils in my garden. For the 14 years in our house in Peterborough I tried hard to establish some clumps of snowdrops and when staying with friends 3 weeks ago saw that a couple of groups in the front were looking strong at last.

On Wednesday I went to see “La Mujer en Negro” – “The Woman in Black”. I recently read the book and although the film is only based on Susan Hill’s book - there are significant differences, I was able to just about follow the Spanish dialogue. Entrance costs 3.80 Euros, about £3.25 – there was just myself and a group of five ladies….. I was not with them I would add.

I visited the Roman settlement of Acinipo on Thursday. Founded during Julius Caesar’s reign it is thought to have been created for retired veterans of Caesar’s legions. It is believed that before that, around 1000 BC., there was a bronze age settlement.  Acinipo is about 15 miles from Ronda and at about 1000m above sea level it gets windy. At first there just appears to be a large number of piles of stones. Apparantly these have been gathered at points where dwellings are thought to have been. At the top of the hill though there is a theatre, large enough to seat 2000 people and in remarkably good condition. You can see an orange tiled orchestra pit and actors’ changing rooms. The theatre can only just be seen from the entrance so I imagine many visitors, if not aware, don’t even climb up the hill to get to see it. Entrance is free but there is no literature at the entrance gate.

I managed to have a slight accident with a small, almost empty bottle of beer and although I mopped up the keyboard very quickly, my question mark and forward slash will not work. I constantly have a Word document open so that I can copy these characters when needed.

I took a long walk in the valley below the gorge on Saturday. All downhill one way and as so often on these walks, all uphill on the way back. Hard work, so of course I had to stop at a taverna on the way back.

One of the disappointments here has been the absence of live music – apart from the Spanish guitar buskers (I am sure that is not how they would like to be described) in the plazas overlooking the valley I was walking through on Saturday. At Spanish classes on Friday though I was told of a bar in Jimena de Libar Estacion. With two friends I went along on Sunday afternoon to see Chicago Jim and Mandolin Mick play a complete mix of Celtic, Blues, Folk and even Motown. The music sessions at this bar start at 2pm and finish at 5pm to coincide with the train times to and from Ronda. Jim and Mick were actually quite good. On the way back, we passed the entrance to the Cueva de la Pileta – prehistoric caves. Apparantly on three occasions in the 60’s, The Beatles recorded music there because the acoustics are so good.

This week there is yet another holiday – on Tuesday. I must get my hair cut. The short back and sides I had before Christmas is looking straggly. Maybe the conversation will be better this time.

I have yet to discover why the font etc. is slightly different when a post is confirmed - it's annoying. Consistency should be maintained.

No comments:

Post a Comment