From the Puente Nueve

From the Puente Nueve
From the Puente Nueve

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Comparatively busy... 13 - 19 February 2012

I did not get to see “The Woman in Black”, one way and another I have been too busy this week. On Monday I bought my 2 Euro ticket to visit the ‘museum’ below the Puente Nuevo – the bridge over the gorge. The ‘museum’ itself does not have a lot to offer but the bridge itself looks more impressive from half way down.

On Wednesday I visited the Enchinas Borrochas, a 6000 year old dolmen. Again not much to see apart from quite a small group of stones marking what is believed to be a burial site but the position itself is evocative. Apart from the main Algeciras road nearby, not much is likely to have changed in the 6 millenia. The dolmen is situated alongside what would have been the main route at the time from Ronda to Gibraltar.

From there I did a tour of villages, passing through Alpandeire, Frajan, Júzcar and Cartajima.  The villages are in the Alto Genal of the Serrania de Ronda. The area has a large number of chestnut trees. There are vendors selling small packs of hot chestnuts in Ronda. Cartajima, the furthest village is only about 15 miles from Ronda but the roads are so narrow and windy that you travel over 20 miles to get there. Júzcar was a surprise as looking across the mountain to the village, it is completely blue as opposed to the standard white. I checked subsequently and found that all the buildings, church and even gravestones were painted blue last Spring as it was used as the setting for The Smurfs film (starring) Katy Perry as Smurfette and to be released in August this year. Apparantly they normally get around 300 tourist visitors a year and in the 6 months following the painting received 80,000! The Andalucian Government and the Bishop gave special permission for the painting. I can’t see Peterborough City Council doing similar if say Castor asked the same.

The following day I got into the car and it was virtually completely dead. The courtesy light was just about glimmering. Fortunately I brought my charger over with me and with a few leads piggy backed and hanging out of the window left it charging from midday and overnight....... clear sky at 11pm .... it started raining at 8am by which time I had tidied up..... how lucky! The car started ok and I managed my supermarket shop.
The dishwasher had stopped draining before Christmas and an engineer came out to fix it on Thursday. I managed to explain the problem but still have great difficulty understanding the questions that follow. Nevertheless it was fixed. I seem to have gone through a subconscious change though. I no longer when speaking, translate English to Spanish and when listening translate Spanish to English. I either know what to say – or don’t – and understand what is said – or don’t. There is still so much basic stuff I still cannot say or understand. It is all taking longer and more effort than I had hoped.
I still have arrangements/commitments in Peterborough during May to July but although not ready to commit to buying here, currently I aim to be back in Ronda in September/October through to April 2013 - renting again.
I met with friends for a (few) beers and some tapas on Saturday lunchtime. Birmingham were playing at Chelsea in the FA Cup at 12:30. My brother had agreed to send me half time and full time scores but big surprise….. it was being shown on the television in the taverna we met in! If I had known I would have worn my BCFC shirt. A very creditable draw and at least they are in the hat/tub for the draw for the next round.


The blue village of Júzcar, population c250.

No comments:

Post a Comment