From the Puente Nueve

From the Puente Nueve
From the Puente Nueve

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Need to Book the Ferry... 12 - 18 March


 In one of the Spanish lessons this week we had to do a role play exercise. I was a journalist interviewing Angelina Joley. At the beginning of the ‘interview’ I described her as “La pierna de momento” – “The leg of the week”.  If you saw the recent photograph of her in a split skirt you will know what I mean.  The teacher had not seen the photo and seems to have assumed that ‘…leg of the week’  is a regular English phrase. He will probably use it when with his friends at his local taverna. At the end of the ‘interview’  I accused Angelina of stealing Brad Pitt from Jennifer Aniston - so the lady stormed out saying I was "..muy grosero" - "..very rude".
On Friday after lessons, it was cloudy with a very cool breeze. Not having done a long walk for a few days I decided to take the low route in the valley below the gorge. I wore a fleece and took a coat. Murphy’s law kicked in. While sauntering downhill it remained cold. As soon as the track turned up hill the sun came out. After about an hour and a half I reached a ford. There were stepping stones but a couple of the gaps were a little too adventurous for this older guy not as agile as I once was.  I decided to add more stones. It took over half an hour but with true British perseverance I eventually managed to add them in the right place and stable enough to cross. If nowhere else, I have made my mark in Ronda!
I thought I knew where the track would lead me to. I passed an equestrian centre where I believe horses are trained (similar to the Vienna horses) for (only) one or two Ronda festivals throughout the year. It turned out that the track took me further out of Ronda than I expected. 
I have not been finding the Spanish language easy. My classmates have suggested finding a Senorita. Most of them have Spanish girlfriends/boyfriends/wives/husbands. So far I may have attempted to  suggest a persona of a slightly distinguished, financially inactive, slightly eccentric chap but after this walk I trudged through the town heavily perspiring (..gentlemen perspire) and met no Senoritas who might have been in the slightest bit interested. My criteria anyway is that any young (or not so young) lady must be attractive, unattached, financially independent and have holiday homes on at least two continents…. If particularly attractive or particularly financially independent I may forget the holiday home bit. Any such need not necessarily be Spanish but willing to learn the language – working as a pair may make progress easier. If anyone knows ladies fulfilling said criteria I would be happy to conduct interviews during June and July at Charters… or October in the San Francisco Bodega, Barrio San Francisco, Ronda.
I am still not sure of longer term plans but certainly intend being back here October to March. During the next three weeks I shall be viewing potential rentals. If I can find two or three suitable places at least one will hopefully still be available in October. It would be good and better for the Spanish progress to have a purpose. I have been investigating volunteer activities but here they seem to be connected with wacky, maybe even slightly or somewhat culty organisations.
 I have not yet booked my ferry back but should be on the Santander to Plymouth boat on 2nd May, arriving in Peterborough on 4th May…… May the 4th be with you!  Star Wars fans may appreciate the comment (or not).
It has become something of a fixture to meet up with some friends on Saturday afternoon or evening. Yesterday I had  a few beers and raciones at the taverna mentioned above. Glorious day,  a few wispy clouds and 24c. Thoroughly enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment